Since Diamonds are the birthstone for the month of April, so the April born, have an extra reason to get themselves a diamond this month! On this occasion, let us take a look at the 9 interesting facts about a diamond.
- The ancient Greeks used to believe that diamonds were actually splinters from falling stars or considered as tears of God when he cried.
- The Greeks also had a notion about Cupid’s arrow, according to them it was bedecked with diamonds, and that is how romance was connected with the diamond.
- The evolution of diamond is still unknown, but it has been revealed by scholars that Diamonds are more than three billion years old.
- Later, it was found out that Diamonds are buried deep as 100 miles below the ground, and they come out to the surface of the earth only due to heavy volcanic eruptions.
- It is said that Diamonds are 100 percent carbon and consists of a single element. But, due to the extreme heat and pressure below the earth turns the carbon atoms into this precious stone, what we call as diamonds!
- Diamond derived its name from the word “adamas” which actually meant indestructible or invincible.
- It is the hardest natural substance, and the only thing that can scratch a diamond is another diamond.
- If a diamond is placed in an oven in a temperature of “763 degrees Celsius”, the diamond will simply vanish, without even a trace of ash.
- According to ancient Hindus, diamonds have the capacity to protect anybody from danger and they used to infuse them in the eyes of devotional statues.